AlumnaeSep 23, 2020
— updated Jul 20, 2021
School Reimagined: A Conversation with Julia Heaton
MHS Alumnae Council President Mary Atwood ’83 and thirty alums sat down with the Head of School as students return to campus in this unprecedented year.
Fall has arrived in the Berkshires, classes have begun, and students from Bangladesh to Bulgaria are arriving at 492 Holmes Road. Read Head of School Julia Heaton’s welcome message, including five hopes for a new school year.
On September 29, 2020, alumnae spanning eight decades gathered for a Zoom conversation with Julia Heaton, led by Alumnae Council President Mary Atwood ’83.
It may be the 123rd September at Miss Hall’s, but everything about the 2020-21 school year is new — from the dramatically different weekly class schedule to the ways we meet and collaborate; from the role of technology to the ways we are moving about and using our campus.
In advance of the gathering, alumnae submitted questions for Julia to address:
- How did you spend the summer preparing for a safe return?
- How have the Dining Room and other beloved spaces on campus been transformed, in terms of social distancing?
- What does hybrid learning look like for girls across the globe?
- Tell me more about the new calendar and schedule, specifically the shift from two semesters to six, five-week terms.
- Describe this year's new courses that provide deeper, more collaborative learning.
- How are students practicing civil discourse during this fractious election season?
- Are students’ personal teams activated for socio-emotional support?
- How are you holding up? How can we help?
Hear answers to these questions and how we will get through this — together!