School NewsNov 24, 2020
— updated Nov 24, 2020
This year's theme, "Same storm, different boats, heading to shore together."
“Reimagining girl-centered education” is central to the strategic vision of Miss Hall’s School. And, this year, we’ve taken the art of reimagining to a new level. Classes, athletics, ensembles, and beloved traditions such as our Ring Ceremony have taken on a whole new look in the pandemic-era environment.
Last week, we added Convocation to the list. This year’s all-virtual event, featured a mix of old —
- Students delivered stirring speeches. Sundara ’22 and Naomi ’24 spoke with conviction on our 2020-21 theme of, “Same storm, different boats, heading to shore together.”
- Faculty and staff were recognized for years of service. Technical Support Analyst Tim Auge and School Nurse Lisa Loehr P’19, were recognized for 15 years of service, while Director of Weekend Activities/Chinese Teacher/International Student Advisor Tanya Kalischer was recognized for 25 years of service.
- School President Hannah ’21 opened and closed the event by ringing a bell owned by Mira Hall, and Grace Notes sang the alma mater.
— and new.
- Students and adults responded to prompts with short answers that were compiled into the inspirational slideshow below.
- Participants Zoomed into the event from five continents — Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, and South America.
- Speakers submitted their speeches via video, and “cheering” took place in the chat.
We’ve adapted, but the spirit remains the same! Thank you to all who helped make Convocation 2020 such a success.
Convocation 2020: Sundara ’22
Convocation 2020: Naomi ’24
MHS Students and adults were asked to respond to Convocation prompts —
- Where are you geographically, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually?
- Tell us about something — big or small — that someone did for you, that you did for someone else, or that you did for yourself.
- Tell us about a recent event that has largely affected you or a community you belong to.
Here are some of the answers!