School NewsOct 2, 2020
— updated Jul 14, 2021
MHS Families Connect Around the World
A series of webinars are helping parents and guardians stay connected throughout the school year.
We are excited to announce the yearlong line-up for family gatherings for 2020-21!
Mark your calendars and join us to hear about key areas of the School and to meet with other MHS families from around the globe.
Zooms for Families
Sunday, May 30
Stay tuned for details
Watch Previous Events
• Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at MHS — Hosted by Head of School Julia Heaton P’24, with Dean of Equity and Inclusion Paula Lima Jones and the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion team — DE&I Coordinator Kim Boland ’94, Global Programs Liaison Josephine Nicholson P’21, and International Student Advisor Tanya Kalischer. Paula and her team engaged families in an informal discussion about social justice and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) initiatives at MHS, including families’ hopes for their students as they learn, experience, and grow in this work. Watch the video.
• Spotlight on Hallmark Courses — Dean of Academics and Faculty Lisa Alberti ’73 and Director of Academic Counseling Sarah Virden present an overview of our Hallmark Courses, our innovative, upper-level classes that allow for personalized, in-depth, and sustained inquiry. History Teacher Liza Burbank, Ph.D., and Math Teacher Joanna Sutton share highlights from two of these classes, Hallmark History of American Advertising and Hallmark Linear Algebra. Watch the video.
• Horizons Reimagined — Alison Basdekis, MHS Director of Horizons, and Emerald Power, Associate Director of Horizons, share how Miss Hall’s one-of-a-kind Horizons program has been reimagined to be even more relevant during this extraordinary year. Watch the video.
• Academic and College Counseling at MHS: The Journey from 9th Grade through Commencement — Director of Academic Counseling Sarah Virden and Director of College Counseling Courtney Hatch Blauvelt shared how each MHS student’s academic program is personalized from day one at Miss Hall’s, all the way through graduation. Watch the video.
• Introducing Personalized Family Tuition at MHS — David Hopkins, MHS Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management, briefs families on a new tuition structure that will be activated for the 2021-22 school year. Watch the video
• Chat with the Deans — On Thursday, September 24, fifteen parents came together for the first in a monthly series of virtual events for MHS families. Dean of Academics and Faculty Lisa Alberti ’73, Dean of Students Christie Higuera, and Dean of Equity and Inclusion Paula Lima Jones shared new initiatives and answered a range of questions about academics, student life, DEI, and more at Miss Hall’s in this unusual year. Watch the video
Family Committee 2020-2021
The Miss Hall’s Family Committee is in full swing!
Members of this committee will be reaching out to new and returning members of the MHS community to welcome and connect with them. We thank all our members for their hard work, ensuring that even in a time when there are barriers to meeting in person, the Miss Hall’s family community remains close and supportive.
Gillian Canal (Chelsea ’21)
Robert Gong (Calla ’21)
Sienna Patti (Viola Quiles ’23)
Reggie Canal (Chelsea ’21)
Yiyan Zhou ’91
Yuemin Liang (Katie Qin ’15)
Kathy DeVarennes (Hadley ’21)
Robert Doerr (Olivia ’21)
Cathy Lankenau-Weeks & Christopher Weeks (Wendy ’21)
Calvin Chen (Elin ’22)
Huong Tran Tich Dinh (Tuong Nguyen ’22)
Van Y. Ho and Nguyet Huong Cao (An ’22, Vi ’23)
Fay McGeary (Randi ’22)
Mingming Deng (Yolanda Zhang ’23)
Yan Huang (Cici Chen ’23)
Liz Kelsey (Whitney ’23)
Interested in joining the MHS Family Committee or have questions? Contact Merritt Colaizzi, Director of Advancement, email@example.com, or 413-395-7065.