Who We Are
About Miss Hall's


One of the first all-girls boarding schools established in New England, Miss Hall's School dates its founding to 1898, when Miss Mira Hinsdale Hall began her forty-year leadership of the School. The era brought the School to the forefront of women's independent secondary education. Miss Hall's School moved in 1909 to its present location at 492 Holmes Road in Pittsfield. The School grew and flourished under the guidance of its visionary founder until August 25, 1937, when Mira Hall died suddenly while on vacation in Maine. Miss Hall was succeeded in 1937 by her niece, Margaret Hinsdale Hall.
Today Miss Hall's School is a nationally recognized, boarding and day independent secondary school that combines an exceptional college-preparatory curriculum with two acclaimed leadership programs, Horizons and the Girls’ Leadership Project. Miss Hall’s provides a rigorous academic program, which is enhanced by full offerings in the arts and athletics. The School currently enrolls 214 girls, representing 16 states and 26 countries.


List of 21 items.

  • 1898

    Mira Hinsdale Hall acquires Miss Salisbury’s School in Pittsfield.
  • 1909

    Miss Hall’s School moves to Meadow Farm, the estate of the late Colonel Walter Cutting, on Holmes Road.
  • 1920

    The Alumnae Association forms.
  • 1923

    Fire destroys Miss Hall’s School.
  • 1924

    The “new” school is finished and incorporated as a nonprofit, educational institution. The first Board of Trustees forms.
  • 1937

    Mira Hall dies while on a trip to Maine. Miss Hall's neice, Margaret H. Hall, succeeds her as Headmistress.
  • 1949

    The first edition of Hallmark, the School's yearbook, is published.
  • 1957

    Construction begins on a $650,000 expansion—the Schoolhouse Wing and the John Hay Whitney Science Lab.
  • 1964

    The Music Wing, Biology Lab, additional student rooms, and two faculty apartments are completed.
  • 1975

    The Board of Trustees approves the enrollment of male day students and the change of the School’s name to The Hall School.
  • 1984

    The School discontinues coeducation and resumes use of the Miss Hall’s School name.
  • 1995

    The School begins its new experiential learning program, Horizons.
  • 2000

    The Pamela Humphrey Firman ’31 Technology Laboratory and Anne Meyer Cross ’37 Athletic Center are completed.
  • 2001

  • 2004

    The Centennial Campaign closes having raised $25.5 million for facilities, program, and endowment.
  • 2006

    The School receives a bequest of $5 million, including funds designated for endowment and a home on nearby Pomeroy Avenue, from the estate of Barbara Humes Euston ’29.
  • 2012

    Miss Hall's students work with a professional filmmaker to create the documentary A Seat at the Table: Six Girls Ask “What Does it Take to Become a Leader?” The film is shown in schools and discussions groups across the country.
  • 2013

    The athletics facilities are enhanced with the addition of the Susan P. O’Day ’77 Softball Field in the spring of 2013.
  • 2014

    Julia Heaton becomes the 11th Head of School.
  • 2016

    A new residence hall for thirty students and two faculty families opens as part of the School's campus expansion.
  • 2016

    Linn Hall opens. The interdisciplinary building hosts the School's Math, Science, and Technology Innovation Departments, Horizons, and the Miss Hall's STEAM Initiative.
    • Mira Hinsdale Hall, 1929

      Mira Hinsdale Hall, 1929

    • Before the 1923 Fire

      Before the 1923 Fire

492 Holmes Road Pittsfield, MA 01201
Phone: (413) 443-6401

About us

Located in the Berkshires in western Massachusetts, Miss Hall's School is a private, college preparatory, boarding and day high school for girls grades 9-12.
Copyright © 2019 Miss Hall’s School