Horizons continues a rich tradition of community service at Miss Hall’s School.
The School’s Charity Committee, a predecessor to the Community Service Committee of the 1940s and 1950s, was organized in 1928. Students in the 1950s volunteered on Saturday mornings in the Medical Record Department at St. Luke’s Hospital in Pittsfield.
The Student Service League of the 1960s saw students volunteer at sites such as the Pittsfield Girls Club (now the Gladys Allen Brigham Center) and Pittsfield General and St. Luke’s hospitals, predecessors of today’s Berkshire Medical Center, in Pittsfield.
The late 1960s also saw the introduction of the Friend’s Program, a mentorship and after-school program initiated by the Pittsfield Urban Coalition. Students from MHS and other schools, including Darrow School and Stockbridge School, volunteered weekly with local children, sometimes hosted at Miss Hall’s and, at other times, at local community centers.
Students led youngsters on apple-picking trips, on-campus art projects, and other activities. The program sought to establish an ongoing relationship between a child from a disadvantaged environment and a student from MHS. In the early 1970s, the Independent Study Program in Community Service allowed seniors to spend the final eight weeks of senior year volunteering in the community through a program of independent study.
Options included working full days at local community service agencies or assisting classroom teachers at Berkshire Country Day School in Stockbridge.