More than 150 MHS alumnae, from the classes ending in “4” and “9,” returned to campus May 17-19 for Alumnae Weekend events. Some of the highlights:
• Board President Stacey Sotirhos ’89 received the Barbara Humes Euston ’29 Distinguished Service Award for her work on behalf of the School, including fifteen years of service on the Board of Trustees, the last six of those years as Board President.
• Marian Phelps Pawlick ’44 received the Distinguished Alumna Award, recognizing her career as a travel writer and her leadership as a philanthropist deeply involved in the visual arts, music, and environmental organizations.
• The Young Alumna Leadership Award was presented to Tsega Meshesha ’09, recognizing her work to address women’s health issues in Ethiopia, her country of origin, and for serving as a role model for today’s students.
• Shelley B. Miars ’69 and Tricia Casey Shepherd ’69 received Heritage Society pins, recognizing their recent membership in the MHS Heritage Society.
• ŸSixteen members of the Class of 1969 received 50th Reunion charms.
• When they weren’t challenging each other on the tennis courts, the Class of 1989 was recognized for the greatest turnout of the weekend— 26 registrants.
• The Class of 2014 was recognized as bringing with it the greatest spirit and cheer and for participation in the weekend.
• Pattie Kozma ’84 was recognized for traveling the greatest distance — 8,395 miles, from Catanduanes, the Philippines.
• Members of the Class of 1949 — Judith Hill Kittredge, Elizabeth Pitlik Kruidenier, Anne Crosby Nichols, and Sheila Carey Smith — as the weekend’s senior alumnae, held the honor of leading the Snake Dance on Friday evening.
The following classes were recognized for class gifts:
• The Class of 1964 raised more than $40,000 for the Annual Fund for MHS and established the Class of ’64 Horizons Endowment for Experiential Learning, which now totals $257,500.
• The Class of 1969 raised $66,730 in honor of its 50th reunion.
• The Class of 1974 raised more than $401,000 for the Annual Fund since its last reunion.
• The Class of 1989, hand-in-hand with the Board of Trustees, raised $100,000 to rename the Board Room in honor of classmate Stacey Sotirhos.
• Courtenay McGowen ’64 presented a well-received talk called “Dragons: Myth, and Reality” in the Class of ’64 Library Seminar Room.
• Members of the Class of 2014 sat down with sophomores, juniors, and seniors in a session called “Life After MHS: Advice from the Sister You Never Had.”
• Grace Notes past and present sang together.
• Current students performed numbers from the spring musical “Mamma Mia!”; talked about the robots, prosthetic hands, bridges, and websites they built this semester; and led alumnae on tours of the new buildings.
• Alumnae cheered on varsity lacrosse to victory on the new Class of ’57 Field.
• Everyone enjoyed receptions, photographs, and “Brew and Gold” in the sunshine.
It was a fabulous weekend!